MONDAY, 9/6/2014 | 16:05 GMT+7

Fire Safety Tips

 

Fire Safety Awareness


Every year, thousand of people die in fires, and so many more are injured in fires. Most of fire deaths occur in residences. Many of these fires could have been prevented. Cooking is one of the major cause for fire deaths.

Did you know that if a fire starts in your home, you may have just two minutes to escape?

Remember these characteristics of Fire:

  • Fire is FAST. In just two minutes, a fire can become life-threatening. In five minutes, a residence can be engulfed in flames.
  • Fire is DARK. Fire produces gases that make you disoriented and drowsy. Instead of being awakened by a fire, you may fall into a deeper sleep. Asphyxiation is the leading cause of fire deaths, exceeding burns by a three- to- one   ratio.
  • Fire is HOT. Heat and smoke from fire can be more dangerous than the flames. Inhaling the superhot air can sear your lung


Fire Safety TIPS

It is true that majority of the home fires that occurs in this country could have been avoided if only people were aware of fire prevention measures. The extensive damage and enormous tragedies caused by fires could not have happened if only people were cautious and careful in their way of daily life.

Keeping your home safe from fires is not at all a complicated or difficult task. In fact, most fire safety tips and habits required minimal efforts from your part. Below is a list of major tips on how to keep your home fire safe at all times?


1.  Keep fire blanket or fire extinguishers in your home.

Small incipient fires can be tackled and stopped before they get worse with use of fire blanket or fire extinguisher. Of course, it is necessary that you know how to make use of these things apart from just having them around the house.

For instance with fire extinguisher, you need to now that the steps to operate  include pulling out of the safety pin, aiming the nozzle at the base of the fire, squeezing the lever gently and making a sweeping motion from side to side until the fire is completely extinguished.


2.  Use only high quality electrical gadgets and equipments.

Electrical appliances can be a cause of fire if any of these factors are present:  faulty wiring, overloaded sockets, blown fuses, and loose cords. Fire can also occur if there is malfunction of the device, so it is best that you constantly inspect all your equipment to ensure that any defects or damage are attended to immediately before they pose threat to you and your family. If an appliance smoke or smells like it is burning, unplug it immediately and have it repaired. Check all of your electrical cords and repace any that are cracked or frayed. Don’t  run extension cords under rugs or carpets. Don’t tamper with the fuse boxes or use fuses of improper size. Unplug items such as toaster and coffee makers when not in use. Get your AC serviced every quarter.


Check power load capacity of your house from a certified electrician. Remember there is a limit to consumption, at least where electricity supply is concerned. If it’s exceeded, the result wil be overheating of wires, leading to short circuit and eventually fire.


Get an electrician to check the load factor before buying a bigger fridge or another AC.

Power consumption of all appliances and gadgets put together should be well within your flats load factor.

Don’t leave appliances like iron and ovens unattended. Switch them off after use.

Pull out plug from socket after switching off an appliance.

3.      Avoid smoking inside the house.

Smoking is on of the leading causes of home fires because it sometimes happens that a smoker forgets to completely extinguish a cigarette or that he falls asleep while smoking. Because of this you need to avoid smoking inside the house. Never smoke in your bed or before you sleep or when you are feeling drowsy. Douse cigarette in water, before disposal to avoid re-ignition. Smokers need watchers. Before going to sleep, check under and around sofa cushions and upholstered furniture for smoldering cigarettes.


4.      Practice safe cooking.

Never leave cooking un-attended. Remember to avoid wearing long sleeves or loose fitting clothes when cooking and be careful not to reach over hot burners. Make sure that there is a fire blanker or fire extinguisher inside the kitchen to fight a small incipient grease fire before it becomes big and damaging. Keep pot handles turned inward, If a pot catches fire, cover it with a lit to smother the flames and turn off the burner.

Always shut off gas regulators at night or when travelling.


5.      Beware of Threats from Cooking gas.

If you use piped gas, keep helpline numbers of Mahanagar Gas Ltd (MGL) handy. Call MGL if you suspect leakage. MGL Helplines Toll Free 1800229944 and 2401 2400

In case of fire cut main gas supply of the flat. Inform society to switch off main gas supply of the building. Do not put on/ off electric switches.

If you use LPG, get it checked and serviced by authorized mechanic every six months. If the gas leaks, close the cylinder valve, and open doors and windows.


6.      Never allow children to play with fire.

Candle, matches, lighters and any fire starters should be kept out of children’s reach and preferably locked up. Children are very curious being and if you do not guide and supervise them properly, they can end up playing with fire and causing big damage to themselves and to your home. Teach children that matches and lighters are only for adults.


7.      Candle safety

Don’t use candles if you have pets or children in the house. Extinguish the candles before leaving the room or going to sleep. Place candles in sturdy containers and at least one foot away from anything that can burn.

8.      Stop, Drop & Roll.

If your clothes catch fire, don’t run. Stop where you are, drop gently to the ground, cover your face with your hands to protect your face and lungs. Roll over and over until the flames are mothered.


9.      Fire safety awareness

Make sure all family members know what to do in the event of a fire.
Test windows and doors—do they open easy enough? Are they wide enough. Or tall enough?
Practice alerting other members. It is a good idea to keep a bell and flashlight in each bedroom.

In a fire, time is critical. Don't waste time getting dressed, don't search for pets or valuables. Just get out!


Home is one of you most precious treasures, so it is only right that you take utmost care of it for the sake of your family. Practice fire safety tips and habits and encourage the whole family to do the same. This way you can assure that you do not live in constant fear that one day a fire accident might occur in your home.



No Comments Found

About OOC Online

Our Own Community Online (ooconline.com) is a platform created with the intention of sharing within our Catholic Community. The Church is a vibrant place where parishioners not only come for spiritual and religious activities but they are also part of a wider community where they interact with each other, take part in events and get to know each other.

FB FOLLOWER